<center>Stiletto Soul: New York 2014</center>

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

New York 2014

As if I didn't get enough of New York last year, I went there again! This trip was different in that I spent more than 24 hours at a time in Manhattan. It was similar in that I booked my tickets to the trip no more than a week in advance. Sometimes, you just gotta get outta town.

The reason for the trip was to meet up with my friend Chris, whom I met at Durham University. He was able to tear himself away from work for a couple of weeks and suggested we meet up. Why not? So, on May 3, 2014, I went to New York. 

When I landed at LGA airport, I had no idea where I was going, so I wound up following the crowd. That would lead me to NYC Airporter, a bus that took me into Manhattan. The bus was rather convenient as it was a flat rate of $13. There were multiple stops that the bus would take its passengers. When I arrived at Penn Station I got off the bus. When I looked up, there was Chris waiting for me.



We stayed at the Holiday Inn off West 32nd Street. It was a nice place to stay as it was between two main lines for the subway. It was modern in decor and close to the Empire State Building.

After I settled into my room, Chris and I decided to go for a drink before bed. After all, we did have over two years to catch up on! 

We found ourselves at The Stellan. Now, on a Friday night you would assume that in the "City that never sleeps" that all of the bars would be hoping around midnight. Wrong. They seemed to be closing up shop as we were getting there. Luckily, they were still in business to take our order. 

It was funny because ordering at this place was, well, a process. We asked to see a menu and both ordered off of the menu. For example, the menu said they have Crown Royal, so, naturally I ordered a Crown and Diet. Nice try. They didn't have Crown and offered me other whiskeys. They didn't even have Jack! Who are these people?! Chris finally asked if they have a Long Island Iced Tea, but the bartender said, "We have Long Islands, but not Long Island Iced Teas." 

... What the heck do you think a Long Island is??????

Eventually, we got drinks and caught up.


Our initial plan for the next day (Saturday) was to wake up, have breakfast, see the Statue of Liberty, and see the 9-11 memorial. And it started out that way, but we ran into a few bumps in the road. 

It started off nice when we were checking out Bread & Butter. It is a place that everyone in your group can find something to eat for any meal during the day. There were mini restaurants within the overall restaurant serving food like tapas, Chinese, and Italian. In the morning Chris and I had many options to choose from, including the aforementioned options, but we went with something more traditional. Chris went to the omelet bar and had an omelet specially made to his liking. He later ruined it by doing the "American thing" and dunked each bite into a pool of ketchup. Chris also followed me to the yogurt bar. We each created our own parfait. There was also a nice fruit bar which had a nice variety to chose from. 


Next up, the Statue of Liberty. Because Chris was here a day before I was, he was planning ahead and purchased tickets the day before for the Statue of Liberty with a vendor, Open Tour. This is when things get messed up. 

When we got to the dock for the Statue of Liberty, the people directing tourists told us that we needed to switch our tickets, which were vouchers, with the vendor we bought them from. So then, Chris and I go a wild goose chase for these vendors to get the ticket. We asked about two vendors about the tickets until we were able to chase down Open Tour. These guys wasted our time from start to finish. When we asked the initial guy about our ticket, I found out that this was the guy who sold Chris the ticket (to the Statue of Liberty, where you could get off on Liberty Island). All he told us was that he wanted to get the manager because he knew he had done something wrong when he sold the ticket the day before.

The manager took 20 minutes to get to our location. In the meantime, another coworker of this guy turned up. Apparently he was the trainer and kept saying he gave Chris the wrong ticket because he had the wrong ticket dispenser when selling to Chris. When the manager showed, he never greeted us and stepped away a few times to look at the ticket and got frustrated with his team who sold Chris the wrong ticket. The guy who sold the ticket kept quiet. The trainer wouldn't stop talking and repeated multiple times, "I printed from this printer, not this one which prints the boat tours." He said this as he slowly pointed back and fourth to each printer. This conversation happened over the next 20 minutes before I stepped in and asked if Chris would be refunded his money. The trainer then told us he was out the extra money because he gave him the bus tour, which was more expensive. I'm sorry, but how is that my problem when that isn't what I wanted. Basically, they had no way to do the return. 

By the time I told them I want my ticket, they said that the "voucher" was the ticket, but that they have their own dock. All they forgot to do the day before was tick a little box the day before. I could have just gotten a pen and done that myself in five seconds without waiting the 40-60 minutes I did with these fools. 

Then they pointed us in the direction that their dock was located. I must have looked pissed because one guy offered to walk us part of the way there so we wouldn't get lost. This was the highlight of the guest service. 

When we were halfway to the dock, Chris began looking at the tour paper. He stopped and said, "This tour doesn't get off on Liberty Island."Now Chris was pissed that he was completely taken advantage of by these vendors. He didn't want to go on this tour anymore, and even if we did, it wouldn't have been fun. So, I suggested we go somewhere for a drink and try again for the Statue of Liberty tomorrow. 

So, I guess we can start this trip over again, beginning at the bar... At least our walk to the dock came up with some nice pictures.




Without planning, we discovered Stone Street. This short street in the middle of the financial district is very unique in that the restaurants that line the street extend their business to the street by covering the cobblestone road with tables. 


We walked until we chose a random place to hop in for a drink. I don't know if we just picked a great place or if all of the restaurants give great service and have friendly employees. Regardless, this was how the trip should have started off. We went to Vintry Wine & Whiskey for a cocktail or two. The bartender was great! He answered my many questions and let us know where to go in the city. He also gave us a great recommendation for dinner at an Italian restaurant. I had to ask, "Now, is this Italian food, or amazing, from Italy, Italian food?" He told me he is from Italy... needless to say, the response was the latter.


After our drinks, we walked around the financial district. We happened upon some great finds. 










We did walk to the 9/11 site, which you will see pictures a little later of the memorial so that it is grouped with the timing of us visiting the museum. We had to go to the museum later in the evening because they only allow so many people into the museum at a time that it had already been booked for the next four hours. So, we decided we would take the bartender's advice from... and go to Soho for a bite.

We went to Cafe Borgia, a small cafe that took me back to Europe. It was a very small, boutique like cafe that had been stuffed with small tables and chairs to accommodate the many people who want to take a breather from the walking they have been doing but continue to people watch. What made it even better was that we met up with our friend, Lev, whom we went to school with at Durham University. 




After lunch, we wondered the streets in Little Italy for a cuppa. We found ourselves at an Italian owned cafe, La Bella Ferrara. I am sure you can feel this way about many little restaurants and cafes in the area, but you feel as though you are in an Italian family's home. Everyone is speaking in Italian to one another and everyone seems to be in each other's business. Cannolies are sold inside and outside of the building.







After walking around with Lev, Chris and I headed back to the 9/11 memorial so we could make it in time for our scheduled visit to the museum. This time around, because we had our tickets we just flew right in, but not without going through security. The security for the museum was the same as going through airport security, complete with random pat downs and taking off your belts. Initially, the security seems over the top, but once you think about what could happen if someone had gone into the museum with the intent of making a statement, I would add that much security too. 

The initial impression of the museum makes you wonder if it was worth the $24 for the ticket, but it was important to me to find out for myself.


Once you pass security, you head toward stairs that begin your journey downward into the museum. The sites begin at this moment where you are presented with the last standing beams of the site. 


When you reach the bottom of the stairs, you are now at the entrance of the museum. You are overcome with the feelings of sadness and disparity that you once felt on that day over 12 years ago. The entrance immediately places the visitor into their individual moment on September 11, 2001. As you walk deeper into the museum, you are presented with the remains of monuments, establishments, stairways, building structures, and the like.






Foundation Hall

There is a section in the museum where photography is not permitted called the Historical Exhibition. This area carries the most impact on your emotions and would be considered shocking if you were not moved. The Historical Exhibition consists of three sections: The Day - 9/11, Before 9/11, and After 9/11. The part that is most emotional is The Day - 9/11. You are guided by a timeline of the horrific incidents of the day from events to video, news casts, phone calls and voice messages. 

After being in the museum, that's when the biggest impact of the outside structures mean even more to you. 










A building that cannot be missed by the Memorial is the new, One World Trade Center. This building is over 1,700 feet high and is the tallest building in America.  





The buildings in Manhattan are amazing. Their height is humbling and can sometimes blend into the sky.

The Empire State Building

Later that evening, Chris and I listened to our Italian-American bartender and ate at Osteria Morini. It was easy for us to get in because we had made reservations through the app, Open Table. Morini is a nice, Italian restaurant in Soho.  We started off with the Chardonnay "Sanct Valentin." For dinner we each had a salad and the Cappelletti. The cappelletti was a ricotta ravioli doused in butter. It reminded me of my grandma's cooking; butter used in every aspect of the recipe. For dessert we had the Macedonia Citro. This dessert was nice, but would have been better if that's all we came to eat. It did not pair well with the wine.

Overall, great food, but the waitress we had wasn't all that hot. Our busboy was far more attentive and had to retrieve her on more than one occasion.




Insalata Mista



The next morning was the morning I would actually see the Statue of Liberty! Thank goodness we got it right this time around. We started off going to Starbucks for breakfast and made our way to Castle Clinton to get our "official" tickets for the Statue of Liberty. 

Brooklyn Bridge

Castle Clinton is where you need to go to buy tickets. These tickets will allow you to catch a ride on their boat that docks at Liberty Island and Staten Island. 
Castle Clinton

The boat that took us to Liberty Island
Getting to the island takes about 15 minutes. During this time, the boat travels around half of the island so you can see a 180 view of Lady Liberty. I was so excited to see this monument! I have been to Manhatten three times before this and had yet to see this site. It was about time!





Can't forget to take a selfie with Lady Liberty and Manhattan!














Chris took this picture of me, thought it was funny I was taking so many pictures.
Unfortunately, we did not stop at Staten Island. It is going to take another trip to New York for me to do that (twist my arm), but today Chris and I had a date with Derek Jeter and the Yankees. I know I spoke about the stadium and the game the last time I came here, but when you are a fan, you can go to a stadium a thousand times but it never looks more beautiful than the last. To add on to that, it is Jeter's last season as a professional baseball player. It was my duty as a Yankee fan to pay a tribute to this all-star and captain.



Our seats were pretty great! We were in section 420C. They were in the grand stand but right behind home plate. We could see everything!




Jeter did not disappoint. Watch the video below to see his first at bat for the game.













After the game, Chris and I went to Central Park and walked around. There are just so many things to see in Central Park that it is never the same every time you go. This time around, we found a circular pergula that has chess/checker tables that line the perimeter. Not everyone was playing the game but it was a great location for some peace and quiet in the bustle of the city. 



There were other great places that we went to in Central Park, including a nice shaded area that was built as a community donation from a school. 



Can't forget the zoo!
Later that evening, Chris and I went to the Mandarin Oriental for dinner and cocktails. They have a restaurant, but we ate at the Mobar.



When we first arrived, we were excited to be there. We had heard that the views were spectacular and that it was the place to be. However, we had to put our name on a wait list and were soon forgotten. After asking about our table for the third time and 40 minutes later, we were finally seated. I must admit that because I was hungry I was not really into it at the beginning. That aside, the views were great! You could see Central Park on one side of the building and Manhattan to the other. 

As the evening proceeded, and I was no longer hangry... The food was nice and the martini was strong. Chris was pleased with his mojito. Apparently, not many places make a decent mojito, but Mobar hit it right on the head. 

After the meal, we were given complimentary chocolate covered strawberries for having to wait so long before being seated. Being that chocolate covered strawberries are one of my favorite desserts, I was pleased. It's like they knew me...

My final morning in Manhattan was another day of exploring. I was sad to be leaving, not knowing when I would see Chris again, but it was nice to be spending this time with him.

We started the morning by having breakfast at the first place that looked like a cafe. We came across Le Pain Quotidien, the location on East 53rd Street (between 5th and Madison). Though there are many locations, Le Pain felt like a neighborhood cafe. It had a quaint selection to eat and a variety of breads. What made this place great was the option to eat outside. I know, initially you may ask, "What is so great about the one or two tables they have outside?" You just need to walk a few more steps to see the other tables...



Situated to the west of Le Pain and nestled between buildings, Paley Park offers a place of quiet in the cultural district. The waterfall may be loud and may not offer a great place to have long conversation, but it is nice if you just want to get away from the city for just a moment. 

A little about this park... William Paley, former Chairman of CBS, paid for and designed the park. It was completed in 1967. 


After eating in the little getaway from NY, Chris and I went walking around. We did make a slight pit stop at Walgreen's because someone was sunburned and refused to admit it. Hint: It wasn't me. 


Since we were out and about with nothing to do, I decided that I needed to check off another site from the list of things I haven't seen. It may have been force, but I took Chris to the Flatiron District to see the Flatiron Building. 










We ate at this fast-serving salad place called Chop't. We had no idea what to expect but that it must be good because there was a line that went through the door and passed by the next building's entrance. Because of this line, we decided we needed to follow suit and try it out.

Granted it was a salad, but the whole concept was pretty neat. The concept is similar to that of Subway. There is a menu that you choose the type of salad you want and you tell the person behind the counter. They get the base ingredients ready for the people at the next station. This station was suited to chop the salad up with all of the fixings and your choice of dressing.


It was a good salad, though you can't quite compare to Dion's. What made it nice is that you can take the salad and eat in the park. Chris and I did just that with a slight view of the Flatiron Building in the background.


After lunch, Chris went with me to LGS airport and we said goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment