<center>Stiletto Soul: Tent Rocks 2014</center>

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Tent Rocks 2014

July 26, 2014

I know it has been a few weeks since I went with my cousin, Katarina, to Tent Rocks to hike, but I figure it is better late than never to write a post! I had heard about hiking Tent Rocks when I went to Cochiti Lake with my Aunt Angela and her friends and thought it would be a neat hike. I invited Kat to join me for this expedition and she was happy to join. We left early because we didn’t want to be hiking in the heat of the day. 

The drive to Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks is about an hour north of Albuquerque, on the Pueblo de Cochiti. Kasha-Katuwe means “white cliffs” in the traditional Keresan language of the Pueblo de Cohiti. Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks is a National Park and as such you must pay a small fee to park on the grounds. The fee is $5 but in case you forget to bring cash there is a convenient store about a mile and a half away from the site that has an ATM. Of course, I didn’t think to bring cash and had to backtrack to the ATM for some money.



The second try to get onto the grounds was much more smooth.  We drove to the parking, which is limited if you want prime parking. We lucked out because we went rather early.  I was excited to see these cone-shaped rock formations that were made many years ago from volcanic eruptions.

After getting down at the National Recreational Trail, Kat and I began the hike and made the decision to complete the 1.2 mile Cave Loop Trail prior to the one way Canyon Trail. I am glad we went this way first because I didn’t find it nearly as exciting as Canyon Trail. It probably has a lot to do with my great idea in trying to climb into a cave that was man made when people lived off the land. That idea backfired when I came to a moment where I realized I wasn’t tall enough to have my foot in the step and ability to stretch and pull myself up with my upper body from the cave opening. I began sliding down the side of the rock and got some nice scrapes to prove it. Kat tried to help me as she tried to cover up her laugh but I quickly walked it off. This was not a proud moment. We finished this loop and began Canyon Trail.











Canyon Trail made the hike worth it. The views are amazing! This trail is more difficult and is 1.5 miles, one way. It is a trek up the narrow canyon with a steep climb to the mesa that gives a great view of the Sangre de Cristo, Jemez, and Sandia Mountains. I am not going to write any more because I feel like these pictures do all of the talking for me.



























No comments:

Post a Comment